WHO WE ARE
The Virginia Boxwood Company, headquartered in Charlottesville, provides a sustainable service that maintains, cultivates & harvests boxwood from the historic state of Virginia- some of the oldest and finest boxwood to be found in North America. Once enrolled in our maintenance program, the company is committed to organic feeding and pest prevention of boxwood. Our experienced team of harvesters work hard to improve the plants longevity and health through skilled seasonal thinning.
By honoring the life cycle of one of Virginia’s oldest introduced evergreens, we are also proud to partner directly with the floral industry as Amatucci Family Greens to provide regenerative, premium boxwood trimmings for wreaths, garlands and decorative displays.
With over twenty five years of nurturing boxwood in the Mid-Atlantic region, Nazerano ‘Naz’ Amatucci, a life long gardener, and his son Jason are the owners of Virginia Boxwood Company. The Amatucci’s consider the delicate task of caring for & harvesting boxwood as a form of stewardship which carries on the tradition of decorative boxwood that goes back to the 1700’s.Learn more about us. View our press >>
WHAT WE DO
The Virginia Boxwood Company offers a professional maintenance and pruning program for mature boxwood. We care for scores of private homes, estates, colleges, institutions, churches and cemeteries throughout Virginia.
- We offer an on-site consultation to evaluate your boxwood.
- We tailor a rehabilitation program designed to serve your location’s needs. This includes a nutrient regimen with the emphasis on organic and integrated pest management (IPM) site analysis.
- In our commitment to protect the environment, we utilize organic horticultural oils and soaps to responsibly treat insect infestations.
Boxwood Thinning Program
- Once plants are brought up to optimum health under our tailored rehabilitation program, enrollment in our complimentary boxwood thinning program begins. Special reduction and rejuvenation projects are subject to a fee.
- Professional thinning allows air and sunlight to enter the interior of the plant, which is vital to its survival. Our artisan harvesters are trained to find a delicate balance between preserving the integrity of the plant’s form while encouraging the correct type of regrowth, promoting longevity and health.
- For the sites in the program, we establish two to three year cycles for thinning which provide the optimum benefit for the health and regrowth of the shrubs.
"There is something about these hedges that speak to people. The smell and the way you can hide inside them conjure up childhood memories. To be in the presence of 250 year old box on a Virginia plantation is awe inspiring. Their age triggers a sober urge to protect them."- Nazerano Amatucci,Owner
"Boxwood is truly a beautiful plant and is a staple of many southeastern formal gardens."-Michael A. Dirr, Ph.D - Premier Dendrologist in the United States
WHERE WE WORK
The Virginia Boxwood Company’s quest takes us to some of the most venerated boxwood enclaves in the United States, varying in size and stature from public estates to private plantations. Current owners of mature boxwood consider themselves custodians of generations-old horticultural history and the Virginia Boxwood Company provide the peace of mind and expertise to safeguard their survival.
Each spring we participate in the Mother’s Day Garden Fair at the Virginia State Arboretum in Boyce, Virginia. We offer numerous varieties of boxwood plants for retail and wholesale as well as a knowledgeable staff to speak about your boxwood needs.
We also offer garden club dialogues and educational programs for horticultural organizations.
AMATUCCI FAMILY GREENS
A direct result of the due diligence in our boxwood maintenance program is that the trimmings we harvest through our thinning process yield the highest quality boxwood greenery available in the North American floral market.
Boxwood that we care for and cultivate from the Blue Ridge mountains of Virginia is unrivaled. The unique environs provide the ideal soils and habitat for this introduced species to thrive. Our close attention to maintaining these conditions means that the boxwood we harvest is the boxwood we know.
To insure freshness and quality of product, our spring and fall havests are cut to order and placed directly into the cold chain with refrigerated trucks in the field. Then the boxwood tips are cold stored at the precise temperature of 34º Fahrenheit for immediate shipping to the wholesale floral industry.
We offer bulk boxwood by the case and bag, as well as custom made wreaths and garlands. We ship to wholesale locations across North America and internationally.
Interested in our products? Contact us at:email@example.com
"Aside from its historical affiliations and glossy dark green elegance, our boxwood foliage has incredible moisture retention and resilience once trimmed from the mature shrub. These attributes give our tips unsurpassed longevity and freshness which make them some of the most desirable of all decorative greens."- Jason Amatucci, Owner